Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 13:30:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Michael A. Endsley" <me@corecom.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Geometry questions

On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Michael A. Endsley wrote:

> I have a dos partion set aside for FreeBSD which is my "E" drive. FreeBSD
> shows me 3 slices:
> Primary (dos)
> extended (dos)
> OS2
>
> Also, 2 "slices" that show none. I assume the first small area is MBR
> FreeBSD wants me to use the bottom item on the list of slices but the
> numbers don't corresond to what I have set aside (E-drive)
> When my HD is probed at the beginning, it shows the correct numbers for my
> WD 1.6G drive. Can anybody help me or do you need more info?

You should read about the differences between a DOS partition and a
FreeBSD slice. http://www.freebsd.org  "The Handbook"

I'll guess that your E: drive is not the only drive on your extended
partition. FreeBSD won't use space in your extended partition, so you have
to install over the entire extended partition, or use fdisk to resize your
extended partition, or use another program to reduced the size of the
extended partition to make room for FreeBSD.

FreeBSD won't install to a logical drive within a partition.

> THIS MACHINE IS POWERED WITH OS/2 WARP!

check out http://www.in.net/~jayrich/doc/multios.html too!

  Ken Marsh                    University of Washington
  durang@u.washington.edu        Chemical Engineering