Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 23:34:24 -0800
From:      Gary D Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Ken Wills <kenwills@tds.net>

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:14:35AM -0600, Ken Wills wrote:
> +++ Adam Weinberger [12/11/02 22:59 -0800]:
> > I'm not a Java fan/advocate/sympathizer/whatever, but:
>
> Not to be too picky, but I think Gary is referring to JavaScript.
> JavaScript is most certainly not Java.

	I think I do want to use Javascipt; tho maybe with an applet...
	dunno,

> > Which browser are you using?

	Netscape-4.7.

> > > 	Is there a Java function like: local.exec("<string">) that I
> > > 	could use to point one of my mp3 players at a streaming
> > > 	site?
> >
> > I really really really really hope not, else the fact that nobody has
> > exploited the local.exec("rm -R ~/") bug yet is a miracle ::) In
> > general, applets cannot exec or fork, just call other local applets,
> > unless I'm wrong. In which case the last sentence should be ignored.

	:-) That  occured to me too....

> If this were Java, you can't exec locally. JavaScript can't access your
> local machine (supposedly), and the client side model doesn't have
> any kind of exec, AFAIK.

	Okay, then I guess that's that.   I was trying to get a drop=down
	menu (or one-of a series of radio buttons) to launch xmms/zinf
	at a URL:

		zinf http://W.X.Y.Z:8000

	so with a mouse click I could choose my favorite streaming
	webcasts.  ---Yeah, I realize this is overkill when I
	could do this with a /bin/shell or perl script; or by going
	to Shoutcast.....   Just wondering if it were possible.

	thanks, gents,

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix