Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 21:51:43 -0800
From:      "Mark Castillo" <markc@Relationships.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Networking situation..

Yes, this would do the trick. I recently brought up a box to dialup an ISP
(with one IP address) for temporary Internet access for about 10 client pcs.
Here is what I did:

1) setup FBSD to connect to your ISP (via PPP, or whatever).  I setup user
PPP on tunnel device tun0
2) Install the options for Firewall. Modify /etc/rc.conf to enable and
specify type "OPEN" for firewall. You must compile a custom kernel also.  I
believe you add kernel options "IPFIREWALL" and "IPDIVERT".  Make and
install new kernel.
3) Run "natd". See man pages for more detailed setup.  You will need to
modify /etc/services.  Also, have this run at startup via /etc/rc.local.
4) Setup client PCs to point to FBSD box as gateway, and ISP's DNS servers.

Here are my config files (as far as I can remember):

/etc/firewall:
/sbin/ipfw -f flush
/sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via tun0 (or whatever your
device connected to the net)
/sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any

Appended to /etc/rc.local:
natd -use_sockets -same_ports -dynamic -interface tun0

Hope this gets you started.
-- Mark C.