Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:39:17 -0500
From:      Jack Stone <jacks@sage-american.com>
To:        Jamie Gritton <jamie@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading FBSD-7.0 --> 7.4 and Jail won't start

On 9/11/2012 5:14 PM, Jamie Gritton wrote:
> On 09/08/12 12:15, Jack Stone wrote:
>> uname -a
>> FreeBSD mail.sagedata.net 7.0-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p9 #2:
>> Sun
>> Jan 18 19:59:27 CST 2009
>> root@mail.sagedata.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP
>> i386
>>
>> Have been running and upgrading host+jail for years and through
>> several
>> versions of FreeBSD. However, I got behind on updates and now playing
>> catchup on an important production server.
>>
>> Tried to upgrade fbsd-7.0 --> 7.4 followed by upgarde of a jail as in
>> past. However, on reboot, the host booted up OK, but the jail would
>> not
>> work. On re-trying to start the jail, only got a crytic error about
>> missing syscalls. I've never seen this before and don't have a clue
>> what
>> needs fixing.
>>
>> My setups for starting jails are in the /etc/rc.conf file and such
>> still
>> works here in Texas on local servers when upgraded. However, the
>> production server is in Los Angeles and cannot react to any serious
>> boot
>> problems without sending the ISP owner downtown to switch my HD
>> back to
>> a bootable clone before the upgrade attempts. I cannot afford to have
>> the jail offline as it contains my SSL stuff vital to the business.
>>
>> I manage the jails using the tools that came with Jail(8).
>>
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction on this issue? Do I now
>> need
>> stuff in sysctl.conf for the jail? Or.....????
>>
>> Thanks for any help!!
>
> Your mention of sysctl.conf makes me wonder: missing syscalls, or
> missing sysctls? There was a change between 7.0 and 7.4 where some
> jail-related sysctls were added.
>
> There was also a change to the jail(2) system call, with a new version
> of struct jail - but the old version continues to work. I don't think
> there were and new syscalls at that point - perhaps other new sysctls?
>
> Is the problem in actually creating the jail, or in processes that run
> inside the jail? If the latter, there's really a lot of things that
> could be the problem, if you're running an un-updated user space. Not
> that they *should* happen, mind you, but still a lot more room for
> something to go wrong.
>
> - Jamie

Thanks, for the response, Jamie!

I have things working okay again on the host and jail and now upgraded
to fbsd-7.4. I had gotten behind on updates and thought I had missed
some important changes.

I think when running the final mergemaster -viF I ignored an option
regarding the symlink to the host kernel. It was really the only thing
I did differently. It booted up beautifully this time!!

All the best,
Jack