Date:      Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:03:16 -0500
From:      Adam K Kirchhoff <akirchhoff135014@comcast.net>
To:        Jung-uk Kim <jkim@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suggested xorg-compatible video HW for FreeBSD/amd64 ?

On 11/29/11 15:17, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 November 2011 02:18 pm, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
>>
>> It is my understanding that to simplify have one unified API for
>> interacting with the DRM code, the radeon developers (and others)
>> agreed/decided to use the GEM userspace API, even though the
>> internals (for radeon DRM) require functionality provided by TTM.
> Understood.
>
>> For what it's worth, the radeon developer I just spoke to even said
>> in order to remove TTM from the equation, "something" would have to
>> be recoded to do "partly what ttm does".
> Yes, *partly*.  That's exactly what I was talking about.  If porting
> entire TTM layer is harder than recoding to do "partly what TTM
> does", then it is worth considering, IMHO.
>
> Jung-uk Kim

So we end up with more questions than answers :-)

Of course, everything would also likely depend on the exact goals of
this completely hypothetical Radeon DRM project.

How much of TTM would need to be re-implemented/ported to simply support
2D acceleration on newer radeon hardware (HD5xxx and higher, and the new
APUs)?  How much would be required to support DRI2 and gallium3D?  How
much for a full port of KMS?  We can only speculate on what the FreeBSD
Foundation would be interested in sponsoring, or what would interest the
developer doing the work.

Out of curiosity: Can anyone tell me if DRI2 is currently supported on
the intel GPUs with Kostik's patches?  Has anyone tried the i915g
gallium driver?  It's unofficial, unsupported by Intel, but still has
development going on (as compared to i965g, which was dropped from Mesa
today).

As a side-note, but still relevant to the discussion:  the r300 and r600
classic mesa drivers were dropped from Mesa a few weeks ago.  They
are/were the only functioning 3D drivers on FreeBSD for everything from
the Radeon 9500 to the HD4950.

Adam