Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 20:10:26 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "options" for -current ...

On Thu, Oct 01, 1998 at 07:54:04PM +0200, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> I beg to differ: in -current (as it seems) you should add your option to
> /sys/conf/options, which will create appropriate "opt_something.h" file
> which you should in turn include in your module to see if the code is
> needed.

Not only in -current - you should do this in -stable, too.

> If you don't do this, you're harshly rebuked by 'config' each
> time, and the option is used as a global -D define, which can conflict
> with some #defines in other modules.

It is used as a global define in -current, too, and it can conflict
with other defines in -stable, too.  I added the rebuking to config(8)
after I had converted the last of the options from LINT to the new
format, so I'm very much aware of that aspect of the behaviour :-)

> In -stable this wasn't enforced, and the "options" were being translated
> just to global -D defines.

No.  Known options (ie, those that are in conf/options or the
architecture specific options) are _not_ translated to -D<symbol> in
-stable, nor has they been for any part of RELENG_2_2.  They were
converted to -D in the 2.1 branch, though.  It is correct that config
doesn't make noise about this in RELENG_2_2 - this is due to
RELENG_2_2 having a bunch of old style options even in GENERIC.

Apart from that, this was not what Luigi and I were talking about.  We
were talking about how options XXX influence which files are included
in the kernel build.

Eivind.