Date:      Sat, 5 Dec 1998 08:21:47 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        kris@airnet.net (Kris Kirby)
Cc:        Emmanuel.Gravel@CAS.honeywell.com, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best sound card for FreeBSD?

> FWIW, on my AMD K5-75 / 32MB, timidity takes ~15-20 % as listed in top,
> but the memory use varies. One song, Ruiner by Nine Inch Nails, peaks
> out at ~ 32 %. It's an aural cornucopia of noise. Amp takes ~40 - 50 %
> on a 128k MP3, and splay takes ~ 55 - 65 %. I do wish I had the OPL3
> midi though. It's a pain to remember I can't test something that needs
> the dsp because I'm listening to PCM audio. Ah, multitasking.

what you want is really multiple devices mixed to the same output. You
can do it in software (but it is highly cpu-intensive to do the
resampling to the highest resolution in use which usually is CD quality)
or in hardware. E.g. the Yamaha YMF724 claims to support 64 hw voices
with resampling and mixing -- too bad there seems to be no way to get
the programming specs for that chip, because the card costs US$30
retail :(

	luigi