Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:33:36 +0000
From:      c.widger@comcast.net
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wireless

Hi,

I recently purchased a D-Link DWL-650 16-bit pcmcia card. When I put the card in on my 5.2rc1 laptop it told me card unsuported. I looked arround on the Internet and found my card had a prism3 chipset, good but bad. Since the name of the card, when read by pccardd, is a little different I put the card in my 4.9 laptop and added a line to /etc/pccard.conf. When the card went in the wi driver was loaded, but this came up:

pccard: card inserted, slot 0
pccardd[42]: Card "D-Link"("DWL-650 Wireless PC Card RevP"
) [ISL37101P-10] [A3] matched "D-Link" (DWL-650 Wireless PC Card RevP") [(null)
] [(null)]
wi0 at port 0x280-0x2ff irq 3 slot 0 on pccard0
wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x0000; event status 0x0000
wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
wi0: init failed
wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
wi0: wi_cmd: busy bit won't clear.
wi0: mac read failed 5
device_probe_and attach: wi0 attach returned 5
/kernel: stray irq 3
pccardd[42]: driver allocation failed for D-Link(DWL-650 W
ireless PC Card RevP): Input/output error

Warner,

The help you give the people on this list is excelent. Thank you for sharing your wide knowledge.

>Message: 21
>Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:00:00 -0800
>From: Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
>Subject: wirelss card & cardbus
>To: freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
>I just bought a new wireless card for my laptop, which was cardbus,
>and it seems that that means it is unsupported (but it is not like I
>could tell from the distributor's site that it was cardbus or not).
>
>So, as I package this guy up for a return, I ask, does anyone have a
>recommendation for a card with at least 128-bit WEP and support for
>at least 802.11b if not g, for FBSD 4.X?
>

>-r
>PS Not subscribed
>PPS why is cardbus so miserably unsupported anyhow?

The Lucent Wavelan cards work fine, the one I have is sold as an Avaya (Avaya Wireless World Card 11 Mb/s GOLD) but it's the same thing. It works instantly under 4.X and even 5.2rc2.