Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 17:55:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        gnn@neville-neil.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A quick, dumb, question...

>Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 17:43:55 -0800
>From: "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>

>Is there a single document, or small set of documents, that describes getting
>started kernel hacking on FreeBSD?  How about a set of URLs?

>I would like something that tells me about (in no particular order)

>1) debugging over the serial line, and remote debugging in general

You might start with
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html.
(Sorry about the line-wrapping.)

>2) Building for 5.0 on 4.x (if possible though I suspect I should not do this)

Sure:  set up a 4.x system, clear /usr/src, populate /usr/src with
the HEAD of the tree ("cvs co"), then follow the instructions in
/usr/src/UPDATING.

>3) Best practices for dealing with my own versions of files while also
>working with cvsup.

What I do is use CVSup to mirror the CVS repository (vs. a "working
directory"), then use "cvs update" (well, after an initial "cvs co") to
update the sources.  I do this within "script", so I get a record of
what was done, and I can grep the "typescript" file for various
weirdnesses, such as conflicts to be resolved.

(I also do the "make buildworld" & friends under script, so if something
weird happens during the build, I don't need to record it:  that's been
done.  Well, if it's a panic, that may not capture everything -- but a
serial console can be helpful in that case.)

(I've been tracking both -STABLE and -CURRENT daily, on each of a "build
machine" and my laptop, for several months.  I've also been testing
patches for folks, so being able to revert patches or generate new ones
is a definite advantage of having the CVS repository handy.)

>Those are a good start for now.

Cheers,
david       (links to my resume at http://www.catwhisker.org/~david)
I believe it would be irresponsible (and thus, unethical) for me to advise,
recommend, or support the use of any product that is or depends on any
Microsoft product for any purpose other than personal amusement.