Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 22:21:44 -0400
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Observations on PS/2 Mouse and KVM switch

I've only been playing with FreeBSD for a short while, but find myself
very impressed with it.  However, one difficulty I've been having is that
I use a KVM switch with a PS/2 mouse.  (Generally, I use an MS
Intellimouse, however, experimentation brought me the same results with a
couple of generic, standard PS/2 mice as well).

At any rate, there is a problem with it--I'm not sure if they consider it
a bug or not, although some searching on Deja and FreeBSD-questions
indicate that they probably do.  Searching has come up with the following
solutions that worked for different individuals.

Some had success changing /etc/X11/XFree86Config so that protocol, rather
than PS/2 or Intellimouse read Auto.  Others have had success adding,
after psm0 in their kernel configuration flags 0x100--and others adding
flags 0x800.

For myself, none of these worked.  I have found a workaround (though it's
only useful for a home network--in a production environment, if one were
running various servers where you needed X on occasions, this one isn't
practical).  If, when the machine is first booted up, the KVM switch has
to be on that machine.  It can't be changed to another until the machine
is booted and an X session has begun.  In other words, if I have boxes 1,
2 and 3, while booting 2, I have to be sure that it is the one that I am
viewing with the KVM switch.  Once it's booted, and I start an X session,
I'm able to go to other boxes and back to it without problem.  (I should
point out that I have moused disabled--I don't use it in console mode and
if I start X and moused isn't disabled I get an error message that the
mouse is busy--easy enough to fix by doing ps ax | grep mouse and killing
the pid, but a nuisance.)

Oddly enough (possibly only odd because of my ignorance) if I boot up into
a text session, go to another box, go back to the first box and then start
X I still get peculiar mouse behavior.  The KVM switch has to stay on the
box until X is started.  I've also found that I can't exit X.  So, for my
particular hardware combination, I can use X with BSD.  However, I must
have the KVM switch on the box that I plan to use, from boot up until the
X session is started, and once it is started, i can't end an X session and
start a new one.

At any rate, for home use, this is, while not idea, workable. I'm just
posting it in the hope that it might be of use for someone
thanks
Scott Robbins