Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 1995 08:43:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Richard Toren <rpt@miles.sso.loral.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: missing xdr routines ??

I may have just opened a real can of worms in my ignorance.

The reason I was trying out XDR is that I will soon have a need to
exchange float and double data between FreeBSD, Solaris, VMS, AIX, and
SGI.

The code in src/lib/libc/xdr/xdr_float.c seems to use this approach (when
IEEEFP is defined); treating float as two longs. The first test will be
between FBSD and the Sun system I am hooked to.

I have no experience in VMS, AIX, or SGI. Isn't XDR a Sun protocol that
wasn't picked up in the standards battles of the past few years. Or is it
one that is generally accepted? Is there an RFC that covers this?

Rip Toren               | The bad news is that C++ is not an object-oriented |
rpt@miles.sso.loral.com | programming language. .... The good news is that   |
                        | C++ supports object-oriented programming.          |
                        |    C++ Programming & Fundamental Concepts          |
                        |     by Anderson & Heinze                           |