Date:      Mon, 06 May 2013 08:12:18 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        devel@stasyan.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panic with _autoload_ nvidia driver

--=-u7/BXyoBW1Xpbb05xfMq

On Sun, 2013-05-05 at 10:01 +0400, devel@stasyan.com wrote:
> Hello !
>=20
>    This problems appears about 4-6 months ago after updating of -CURRENT =
host.
> Unable to boot host with nvidia_load=3D"YES" in loader.conf because panic=
.
> But when nvidia driver loads manually via kldload, everything OK.
> Nvidia driver version is 310.44 at this moment, but problem was and on =
=20
> earlier version too.
>=20

[...]

This problem is present much longer than 4 - 5 months and it is bugging
me now for a while more frequently since FreeBSD uses CLANG, but it
isn't only related to CLANG since I have had those problems even before
with the legacy gcc (4.2).

The crash occurs only when loading the nvidia.ko at a very early stage,
as it is done with the loader.conf. i do not know exactly at which stage
is crashed in my case, but it is always a gambling.

You can easily circumvent this by loading the nvidia.ko kernel module at
a very late stage via /etc/rc.conf.local with the entry:

kld_list=3D"nvidia"

In my case, it is the only way to have the nvidia module loaded save and
sound and it works for me since a couple of time for now.

Regards,
Oliver

--=-u7/BXyoBW1Xpbb05xfMq

--=-u7/BXyoBW1Xpbb05xfMq--