Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 12:51:41 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Mark Evenson <evenson@panix.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: pccard modem recommendations (was Card Recommendations)

Mark Evenson stated:
: "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU> writes:
:
: [...]
: > Another thing to find put out there would be good pccard modems (since
: > most newer notebooks come with the evil software modem).
: [...]
:
: Here, here!
:
: I could really use a list of pccard modems that work with FreeBSD 4.1
: STABLE.  It seems that some companies (IBM reselling the 3COM 3CXM356) are
: putting winmodems on pccards!  Took me a while to figure that one out. . .

I have had good luck with the Zoomtel Model 2975.  Here is the relevant
entry from /etc/defaults/pccard.conf ... It is ~ 80 - 90 US dollars.
Hopefully, it is still available.

# Zoom 56K modem
# Freezes your system entirely if you don't have the reset..
card "Zoom Telephonics, Inc." "PCMCIA 56K LT DataFax"
        config  0x1f "sio" ?
        reset   1000

But whatever you do ... don't by the Model 3000 as this will probe
as a UART 16450 and then lock your machine solid :(