Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 1996 17:34:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Busy Tape Drive?

For some reason I don't (yet) understand, my tape drive is reporting busy:

nexgen: {690} mt stat
st0: not ready
mt: /dev/nrst0: Device busy
nexgen: {691}

I was using it the other day. When this happens the only thing I
know to fix it is "shutdown -r now". When it does work, I have
no trouble swapping tapes and doing other things. But after I've
used it, the next day it reports busy without a tape mounted.
And meanwhile the drive has locked its stuff so it won't let me
put a tape in it.

Related section of dmesg output:
ahc0 <Adaptec 2940 SCSI host adapter> rev 0 int a irq 11 on pci0:6
ahc0: aic7870 Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, 16 SCBs
ahc0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
(ahc0:0:0): "SEAGATE ST32550N 0021" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd0(ahc0:0:0): Direct-Access 2047MB (4194058 512 byte sectors)
(ahc0:6:0): "ARCHIVE ANCDA 2750 28077 -003" type 1 removable SCSI 2
st0(ahc0:6:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x0,  drive empty

The 2940 is an older model, BIOS rev 1.10 or thereabouts (heard
there was a hardware rev for BIOS 1.16). The Anaconda tape drive
(1.35G QIC) is being used with a jumper set that was "reserved"
in the supplied documentation but others on this list said it
would cause the drive to run in SCSI 2 mode, and it does. Was
also said the tape drive would disconnect while processing
commands.

When a tape is mounted the eject button doesn't work. The only
way I've found to remove a tape is "mt offline"

System is FreeBSD 2.1.0R + the fist 96 or so ctm-stable patches.
Is my problem something fixed in newer code? Do I need to remove
the "reserved" jumper (fall back to SCSI-I) and put the tape
drive on a 1542CF all by itself? Or is this "operator error"?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@tomcat1.tbe.com (wk), dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)