Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:16:33 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        Chris Zumbrunn <chris@czv.com>
Cc:        Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
Subject:   Re: Rework of the FreeBSD website[was:FreeBSD'sVisualIdentity:Outdated?]
References:  <9FC79942-5DE3-11D9-BEAB-000A95C969C6@zumbrunn.com><AC17F3AB-5EFE-11D9-BEAB-000A95C969C6@zumbrunn.com><20050108144127.GA75006@sumuk.de><8B30EFDE-6195-11D9-A996-000A95C969C6@zumbrunn.com><d9175cad05010914171ee95c7e@mail.gmail.com><20050110180345.GC49329@submonkey.net><F7F917E2-63BA-11D9-B8D2-000A95C969C6@zumbrunn.com><41E50DE3.5050105@nbritton.org> <20050112155215.GU49329@submonkey.net><41E55A4D.4090507@nbritton.org> <20050112195203.GW49329@submonkey.net> <41E5858E.10600@nbritton.org> <55F14096-6B8E-11D9-8A1E-000A95C969C6@czv.com>

Chris Zumbrunn wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2005, at 9:16 PM, Nikolas Britton wrote:
>
>> Ceri Davies wrote:

>>> Everything above boils down to "I don't see how this makes it hard for
>>> people, so it's probably ok".  I don't imagine that blind users (of
>>> which there are quite a few) could care less whether links are
>>> underlined or not, but if having links underlined makes it easier
>>> for one person to find them (and I count towards that, so it's already
>>> fulfilled) for whatever reason then they should be underlined.
>>>
>>> How about all the people who *don't* want them underlined do the thing
>>> with the user-agent style sheets and see how keen they are on imposing
>>> it on others then?
>>>
>>> In short: I will not commit, and will request a backout of, any patch
>>> that turns off underlined links on the website.  I may not stop
>>> short of
>>> backing it out myself either, and with that said I'll try not to reply
>>> to this thread any more, for the sake of everyone's sanity.
>>>
>>> Ceri
>>>
>> Like I said earlier, I don't care ether way :-) ... So reading
>> between the lines does this mean you'll commit the patch (do you have
>> the power to do this?) if he underlines the links?
>

> Here's what that would look like:
>
> http://top.ch/sitedata/freebsd/freebsdweb1f.html
> http://top.ch/sitedata/freebsd/freebsdweb2f.html

Still looks good :-)...
----
1. Can anyone else see the Æ (AE) symbols where the registered trademark
symbols should be, UNIX and MS-DOS?
2. In the navbar, where did you get the site map/index page from, I had
no idea the website had one of those and I still can't find it on the
real site. also labeling the link "index" on the navbar is misleading, I
expected it to take me to index.html... the start page. I think that
only works for books, If you labeled it "site index" then that would
convey what the next page would be but then it would break your one
word/link mold for the navbar.
----
And no, I haven't come up with alternate logos like I said I would.
Between trying to get PhotoShop and WINE working on FreeBSD (any help
here would be helpful) and rolling out major updates to are company
intranet and server I haven't found the time, but I'd still like to do it.