Date:      Wed, 5 Dec 2012 11:42:17 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kernel module parallel build?

On Tuesday, December 04, 2012 2:41:32 pm Ryan Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > Hmm, I certainly see the module directories being built in parallel.  Some
> > of
> > the make jobs may not be as obvious since links are silent (no output
> > unless
> > there is an error).
> >

> This is definitely not the behaviour that I see trying to build any version
> of FreeBSD.  I see the same behaviour as Andre: the depend and all targets
> both iterate through the module directories sequentially.  It never builds
> two module subdirectories concurrently.

Hmm, I think I was confused by seeing kernel builds intermingle with the
associated modules.  sys/modules/Makefile uses bsd.subdir.mk.  I think I see
similar things in world builds where I will see parallel builds of bin vs sbin
vs usr.bin vs usr.sbin, but within each of those directories the builds go
sequentially.  I think you would need to change bsd.subdir.mk if you want to
fix this.

--
John Baldwin