Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:55:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Jaime <jaime@snowmoon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Squid & heavy swapping

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Jaime wrote:

> 	Now to the problem...  It seems that Squid (both 2.1 from the ports and
> 2.2 from ftp.freebsd.org) will continue to use more and more RAM and VM as time
> passes.  This happens even if no one visits any web pages.  Worse still, the
> performance degrades to the point of taking well more than 5 or 10 minutes to
> return a web page to the client if Squid is left running for a few days.  If I
> had to guess, I'd say that this is because it swaps a *lot* even when Squid
> isn't retrieving any web pages.
>
> 	Does anyone know what I can do to make this work better?  I can't upgrade
> the RAM, unfortunately.  However, the same amount of RAM was fine when I used
> the older software (2.2.5-RELEASE and 1.1 (not even the NOVM version)).  Is
> there something that I'm over looking?  A squid.conf setting that I should
> make, perhaps?

Which version of Squid 2.2 did you get?  2.2-STABLE4 fixed a memory
leak or two, which could cause what you are seeing.  It can be
obtained and installed through a recent version of the ports
collection, or the sources can be fetched directly from
http://squid.nlanr.net.  I recommend you use the ports collection, of
course.

To work around the problem you could also kill the squid daemon once a
day or more often if required (such as from /etc/daily.local or a
crontab entry).  The daemon's parent, RunCache, will automatically
restart it within 10 seconds.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."