Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 1996 12:29:37 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New collection for ports - perl ?

On Mon, 30 Sep 1996, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> According to James FitzGibbon:
> > perl5 includes an imake-like tool called MakeMaker, so porting them is a
> > piece of cake.  Once installed, they even include a packing list, making
> > the generation of pkg/PLIST a simple task.
>
> I'm not sure it is interesting as it would duplicate something already
> present in the Perl mechanisms (MakeMaker and al) and would only be a
> wrapper around
>
> perl Makefile.PL
> make
> make test
> make install
>
> I don't think it is worth the bother. There is no need to port anything
> because everything has already been done when you installed Perl itself in
> term of system dependencies.

It is. Actually, in case of some perl modules (was it GD?) you also will
need some C code which is to be compiled. Also - there is the problem of
maintaining the thing - was this or that module version 1.0, 2.0 or did I
upgrade to 3.0? Did I remove all the files no more used by the newer one?
None of these is handled by the MakeMaker. FreeBSD ports do have some
solutions to these problems.

	Sander