Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 1999 18:51:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>
To:        Chang Song <song@zk3.dec.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: journaling UFS and LFS

> Growing and shriking the file system, access control lists, the
> softupdates license issue, and the ability ot easily extend the
> capabilites of the file system without having to rewrite utilities such as
> fsck.
To clarify:
A journaled file system will not address any of these issues in and of
itself. However, writing a new journaled file system will allow use to
address all of these issues more easily than ripping apart UFS (IMHO).
Having a journaled file system has another benefit and that is market
recognition. The corporate world will be far more likely to embrace
FreeBSD if it has a journaled file system than if it has softupdates.
While I think this is a silly reason, it will make a difference. Trying to
explain to a corporate IT manager that softupdates "is as good as or
better than a journaled file system" wont fly.

-Don