Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:26:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Lane Holcombe" <lane@joeandlane.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD config for Proxy Authentication

I've posted this information multiple times today, but it doesn't seem
to be showing up on the list.  Please forgive me if it all starts
showing up at once...

The jist is this:

I've done a minimal install of FreeBSD from an MSDOS file system
because I still can't get FreeBSD to punch though the firewall at work.

On my windows box I am able to get through the MSPROXY firewall using
PPM (Perl Package Manager) if I set these variables:

HTTP_PROXY=http://172.16.7.1:80
HTTP_PROXY_USER=<my user id>
HTTP_PROXY_PASS=<my firewall password>

I believe that this same technique will work with FreeBSD's versions of
fetch and ftp, but I cannot get it to work.

I have set each of these variables using setenv and then attempt "make
all" in one of the /usr/ports directories, but each time it fails with:
Proxy Authentication Required.

I know that fetch recognizes the HTTP_PROXY variable because without it
I get "No route to host" and I know that the port is :80 because when I
change it I get "Connection Refused".

I have tried setting each and all of the variables mentioned in the
fetch(3) man page, but the closest I can get to making it work
is "Proxy Authentication Required."

I have advanced to "Internal Server Error" by setting the following:

setenv HTTP_PROXY_AUTH "basic:*:<my user id>:<my proxy password>".

If I use:
setenv HTTP_PROXY_AUTH "*:*:<my user id>:<my proxy password>"
then I get "Authentication Required".

I use the asterisk for "realm" because the proxy server realm is
called "proxy server" and the space seems to be problematic ... this is
because I can't "setenv" with the space unless I quote the whole
string.  When I do that I also get "Internal Server Error."

Don't be shy about this.  If you've got the slightest inkling of a
notion that may yield more answers to this dilemma then speak up.

Keep in mind that I only have the most minimal of installs so far.

Please help

thanks

lane (holcombe)