Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 19:28:01 +0100
From:      Theo PAGTZIS <T.Pagtzis@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
To:        Jim Flowers <jflowers@peony.ezo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fbsd box acting as a wavelan BS

Jim Flowers wrote:

> Last I checked the wi driver will not do IBSS and says so in the
> documentation.  I also tried it and couldn't get anywhere.  Would be nice.

Jim,

do you mean Bill's driver doesn't do adhoc mode...? IBSS is independent BSS
which is adhoc mode...did you mean to say BSS ??

> Even better would be to use the algos in their office router stuff.  We're
> looking at that now.

Couldn't agree more...

> We currently use a fbsd box to connect the Internet to a WavePointII on
> one frequency and then on a second frequency we connect multipoint users
> with fbsd boxes.

wait a minute...a single WPII bridge is connected behind a fbsd router
box.....fine...now one freq is to act as a portal for the ...Internet?? and
the other is to act as an AP for the nodes...

but the BS can operate in a single freq...cannot switch between different
frequencies (unless you set it manually but this is a different cell
altogether...from the portal cell to Inet..)

something is not quite right here...could you explain a little?

> Works very well although the WavePointII has to be monitored
> continuously.  Bandwidth varies from 600 kbps to about 3000 kbps.

why does the WPII have to be monitored?

In any case the AP function is not effected in the fbsd box but on lucent's
bridge...well that is what I am doing....for the moment...

Do you have any code that is checking out the office router algos? I would
appreciate a peek.... :)

Theo