Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 1998 20:06:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@mcs.net>
Cc:        lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.at, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, julian@whistle.com, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

On 07-Mar-98 Karl Denninger wrote:

> I'm not talking about getting buzzed.  I'm talking about bridging it with
> something near-zero resistance (say, a metallic object).

Like I said, that scredriver incident was as loud as a handgranade.  The
scredriver dropping fellow came out unharmed, except for the courtmarshal
sentence to some 35 days in the brigg for violating more safety rules than
anyone could count.

> People discount lower-voltage circuits because they *think* they're
> safer.
> They're not really if there is what amounts to a near-infinite current
> source behind them.

>From R/C car racing, a sub-c NiCd battery will put out 60 AMp for about 3.5
minutes.

> 110V is perfectly safe if you provide no path to ground through yourself
> and never bridge hot and neutral (or ground).  48V is perfectly safe
> under
> the same conditions.  Violate those conditions and you find out how
> unsafe either can be.

A telephone man older than I am (yes, there is such a thing), claimed that
Union rules had as much to do with telephony voltages as pure engineering.
The DC thing dates back to the days that DC/AC converters used mechanical
vibrators and were less than efficient or reliable (yes, I used these on FM
two-way radios) These old days were NOT good.

Simon