Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 2012 09:08:32 +0100
From:      volker@vwsoft.com
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP to UMTS provider && incoming traffic (TCP, UDP)

On 01/17/12 20:08, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm used to connect my FreeBSD 10-CURRENT netbook to Internet via PPP;
> the provider in question is a German O2 UMTS provider; so far so good,
> i.e. all is working as it should: outbound HTTP, SSH, SMTP (I'm just
> sending this mail through such a connection), ...
>
> what does not work is VoIP; the call is established via SIP (using a
> STUN server), but remote audio RTP packages are not coming down; I
> checked this with TCPDUMP: only upstream RTP is send, no incoming UDP;
>
> as well I checked incoming TCP, for example incoming SSH or HTTP; it
> seems that incoming UCP/TCP is just not coming through the PPP link;
>
> before bother (complain) the provider with this, I wanted to ask if I
> miss something in the PPP configuration to get incoming delivered;
>
> note: I'm not talking about NAT to some stations on a LAN, I just want
> get IP to the local host (interface tun6); as well I disabled ipf(8)
> which I have configured normaly;
>
> any ideas? thanks in advance
>
> 	matthias

Matthias,

can you please check the IP address you're getting from your mobile
network provider? AFAICT most hand out IPv4 addresses from private
network address space (RFC-1918).

For some European countries I can tell, I've never seen routable
addresses being used on 3G networks. That might be the most likely cause
of your trouble.

All the best,

Volker