Date:      Mon, 19 Sep 2011 10:17:22 -0400
From:      Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        pyunyh@gmail.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Hooman Fazaeli <fazaeli@sepehrs.com>, Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>, jfv@freebsd.org, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Subject:   Re: intel checksum offload
References:  <4E744BCE.7060302@sepehrs.com> <20110917203218.GC13993@michelle.cdnetworks.com> <CACqU3MXffDvH%2B5E3_excGswvsYx0eJ1WxTP16tswy9eK%2BvyH%2Bg@mail.gmail.com> <20110918210647.GA8930@onelab2.iet.unipi.it> <CACqU3MXSms9M-H9jj6zf5qWo05SLNCDBwDv%2B%2BmW5iTNjNLuKkA@mail.gmail.com> <20110919020131.GA11657@onelab2.iet.unipi.it> <CACqU3MV3MHGpV0SR36Ur9cPfGzh4K82dop1mXVRkk51mTCpTrQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAFOYbcktOR4SOuktOfQc0WvbQvH-9ViUeAQ4JJax_VbebWnC6w@mail.gmail.com> <4E76E5B9.9080301@sepehrs.com> <CAJ-Vmo=yaMTeSi07-zZNMnarwazpYUWSvit33Bfpx8Wd0U%2BkEg@mail.gmail.com>

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 5:28 AM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Arnaud (and others),
>
> Liaising with vendors is not an easy task. The reason why Intel (and
> other vendors) don't supply detailed history and reasoning for their
> development efforts is that their engineers are likely tasked with
> "making it work" versus "writing lots of stuff down for public
> release." In some instances, the vendor support of FreeBSD (and "free"
> open source in general) is done as a side-project by some of the
> engineers inside the company.
>
> So in this case, you may find that Jack and the other engineers at
> Intel just don't have the time or resources to dedicate the kinds of
> feedback and support you seem to be after. He and others likely have a
> huge set of tasks to do at work and none of them officially include
> "support FreeBSD/Linux developers by providing detailed feedback and
> assistance." So whenever Jack pops up to help out, he's likely doing
> it in his spare time. :-)

Yes, and he seems to really like to waste his spare time by repeating
me for two months to increase `kern.ipc.nmbclusters' to fix issue I
was seeing, when the code was clearly buggy, even when I sent him
patchs fixing issues.

That's sure a very efficient way of managing time.

 - Arnaud