Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:27:26 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Clayton Scott Kern <ckern1@twcny.rr.com>
Subject:   Re: Unable to get SIIG PCI serial card to work

On Thursday 16 March 2006 13:41, Clayton Scott Kern wrote:
> First, I added _device puc_ to my kernel config file and built and
> installed the new kernel.

That should have given you a puc0 device, did it not?

> When that didn't work, I added _puc_load="YES"_ to /boot/loader and now
> the card shows up as puc0, but no sioX.  sio0 is used by the onboard
> serial port and is being used with an APC SmartUPS 700.

This won't work as the puc module doesn't include sio_puc (the version
of the sio driver that attaches to puc devices).  Yes, this is somewhat
lame as it means the puc module is basically useless.  I'm not sure if
this has been made better since 6.0.