Date:      Sun, 09 Sep 2001 08:52:23 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>, Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELNOTESng on Web site

Wolfram Schneider <wosch@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> On 2001-09-06 11:48:20 -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> > Originally it was my hope to have the release documentation for -CURRENT
> > and 4-STABLE on the Web site before 4.4-RELEASE went out the door.
> > There's two days left (approximately) unless the release date slips
> > again.  Is there any hope at all for a resolution of this situation
> > before then?
>
> Hi Bruce,
>
> btw, the relnotes does not install. Could you please fix it?

I can't reproduce this locally.  I'm not sure why you're so adamant on
not using the webupdate script from the repository, but that's your
problem--I don't particuarly care any more (although an *explanation
with reasons* would be nice if you're not going to use it).  It works
just fine when I use that[1], so if it doesn't work for you, it must
be your fault.

If I were you, I'd save yourself (and everyone else) the trouble and
revert things to the way Nik set them up.  It worked fine as far as I
can tell, and, as far as I know, there's no reason not to do that
(your claim that it is allegedly "buggy and insecure" is unfounded as
far as I can tell--which can only change if you actually provide
explanations, and perhaps give me a chance to fix it).  Note also that
you're welcome to, copy the thing into /usr/local/www/bin and not
check it out from the repository every time, although this would mean
that someone would have to bug you or Nik should it need to be
changed.

[1] Note that it isn't set up by default to build the relnotes.  This
is intentional; I wanted to make sure that it works fine building the
plain-old web site on freefall before enabling that.