Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 14:21:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions of the syncer process

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :
> :I have two questions related to the syncer process that replaces the old
> :update process:
> :
> :(1) The syncer process is waken up once a second (it sleeps on lbolt). If
> :I have more than 30 mounted filesystems, then each filesystem's dirty data
> :will stay more than 30 seconds.  If I only have a couple of filesystems,
> :then the syncer will run more frequenty than the old update process. Is
> :this a good choice?
>
>     The filesystem sync time has nothing to do with the number of
>     mounted filesystems.  Every dirty vnode is added to the syncer
>     list and placed in a specific delay slot.  The syncer gets to
>     it in that amount of time no matter how many mounted filesystems
>     there are - usually every 30 seconds or so.

Thanks for your response.  I reread the code and find out individual dirty
vnodes can be put on the worklist.  But why do we put the syncer vnodes on
the worklist as well?  It seems to me that they are there to make sure
that each entire filesystem is sync'ed once in while.  Since individual
dirty vnodes have already been sync'ed, I do not know why it is necessary.

-Zhihui