Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2024 08:44:05 +0100 (CET)
From:      Ronald Klop <ronald-lists@klop.ws>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        henrichhartzer@tuta.io
Subject:   Re: Latest and quarterly best practices

------=_Part_22818_1577542765.1704440645193

Van: henrichhartzer@tuta.io
Datum: 4 januari 2024 02:52
Aan: Freebsd Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Onderwerp: Latest and quarterly best practices

>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> I'm not a committer so this shouldn't carry much weight. Just wanted to e=
xpress my opinion.
>=20
> I think the latest and quarterly setup is a nice and clever one. Unfortun=
ately, it seems fairly often that ports that should probably be cherrypicke=
d into quarterly are not. Occasionally, some updates make it into quarterly=
 that don't make clear sense to me, but this is much more rare.
>=20
> I propose that as a rule of thumb, if a package uses Semantic Versioning =
(semver) and the changes are non-breaking, it should be cherry picked into =
quarterly. Especially if this is only a patch level change and not a minor,=
 but likely either way.
>=20
> A couple of recent examples that I've seen, which I would like to point o=
ut Please note that I am *not* picking on anyone and this is just what I'm =
more familiar with.
>=20
> net-p2p/monero-cli was updated from 0.18.2.2_2 to 0.18.3.1 on the 19th of=
 October. Any software that is blockchain related tends to need to be as cu=
rrent as possible for security reasons. Quarterly still has 0.18.2.2_2 (alt=
hough 2023Q1 will be cut soon, I assume) which is quite out of date now.
>=20
> An opposite case, and this one may be truly a no harm no foul case: x11-w=
m/hyprland was updated from 0.33.1_2 to 0.34.0, and cherrypicked to quarter=
ly. There were a number of changes in this release, and I personally would =
be hesitant to recommend such a cherrypicking unless there were known issue=
s with 0.33.1 that users had complained about. Otherwise, since it's an off=
line window manager, it seems like waiting for the quarterly release would =
make the most sense. Now in this case I don't know the context and cherrypi=
cking may have made complete sense -- I'm just using it as an example to tr=
y and explain my thoughts.
>=20
> Please don't feel at all like I'm being nitpicky. I'm just hoping to cont=
ribute how I can and it seems like the processes around cherrypicking could=
 be improved. I love FreeBSD and appreciate the tremendous amount of work t=
hat has gone into it. It really is great because of the contributions of ma=
ny I'm just hoping to make it even greater!
>=20
> Thank you for reading, and Happy New Year!
>=20
> Sincerely,
> Henrich
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

Thanks for your ideas.

There are some guidelines to this.
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Ports/QuarterlyBranch

But it is not a =E2=80=9Cprocess=E2=80=9D as in somebody is responsible for=
 this. It is mostly up to the maintainer of the port to cherry-pick.

So if you miss something in a Q branch I think it is fastest to:
1- contact the maintainer of the port by mail or PR.
2- contact this ports mailing list.

Does this resolve anything of your thoughts?

Regards,
Ronald.

------=_Part_22818_1577542765.1704440645193

trong> Freebsd Ports &lt;freebsd-ports@freebsd.org&gt;<br><strong>Onderwerp=
tyle=3D"margin-left: 5px; border-left: 3px solid #ccc; margin-right: 0px; p=
adding-left: 5px;"><div class=3D"MessageRFC822Viewer" id=3D"P"><!-- P -->
<!-- processMimeMessage --><div class=3D"TextPlainViewer" id=3D"P.P"><!-- P=
.P -->Hi,<br>
I'm not a committer so this shouldn't carry much weight. Just wanted to exp=
ress my opinion.<br>
I think the latest and quarterly setup is a nice and clever one. Unfortunat=
ely, it seems fairly often that ports that should probably be cherrypicked =
into quarterly are not. Occasionally, some updates make it into quarterly t=
hat don't make clear sense to me, but this is much more rare.<br>
I propose that as a rule of thumb, if a package uses Semantic Versioning (s=
emver) and the changes are non-breaking, it should be cherry picked into qu=
arterly. Especially if this is only a patch level change and not a minor, b=
ut likely either way.<br>
A couple of recent examples that I've seen, which I would like to point out=
 Please note that I am *not* picking on anyone and this is just what I'm mo=
re familiar with.<br>
net-p2p/monero-cli was updated from 0.18.2.2_2 to&nbsp;0.18.3.1 on the 19th=
 of October. Any software that is blockchain related tends to need to be as=
 current as possible for security reasons. Quarterly still has&nbsp;0.18.2.=
2_2 (although 2023Q1 will be cut soon, I assume) which is quite out of date=
 now.<br>
An opposite case, and this one may be truly a no harm no foul case: x11-wm/=
hyprland was updated from 0.33.1_2 to&nbsp;0.34.0, and cherrypicked to quar=
terly. There were a number of changes in this release, and I personally wou=
ld be hesitant to recommend such a cherrypicking unless there were known is=
sues with 0.33.1 that users had complained about. Otherwise, since it's an =
offline window manager, it seems like waiting for the quarterly release wou=
ld make the most sense. Now in this case I don't know the context and cherr=
ypicking may have made complete sense -- I'm just using it as an example to=
 try and explain my thoughts.<br>
Please don't feel at all like I'm being nitpicky. I'm just hoping to contri=
bute how I can and it seems like the processes around cherrypicking could b=
e improved. I love FreeBSD and appreciate the tremendous amount of work tha=
t has gone into it. It really is great because of the contributions of many=
 I'm just hoping to make it even greater!<br>
Thank you for reading, and Happy New Year!<br>
Sincerely,<br>
Henrich<br>
<hr>
idelines to this.<br><a href=3D"https://wiki.freebsd.org/Ports/QuarterlyBra=
nch">https://wiki.freebsd.org/Ports/QuarterlyBranch</a><br class=3D"rw_extr=
a"><br><div>But it is not a =E2=80=9Cprocess=E2=80=9D as in somebody is res=
ponsible for this. It is mostly up to the maintainer of the port to cherry-=
nk it is fastest to:</div><div>1- contact the maintainer of the port by mai=
------=_Part_22818_1577542765.1704440645193--