Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:27:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Alex Sel'kov" <as@shome.eu.org>
Cc:        <stefan@promo.de>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: 2 cards in one collision domain

Alex Sel'kov writes:

 > > As for de1, can you compile if_de.c with TULIP_DEBUG defined?  This should
 > > give some more indications why the PHY isn't set up correctly for
 > > 100baseTX.
 > >

 > But I'm already do this! :)
 >
 > OK, once again:
 >
 > [root@turtle TURTLE]$ dmesg | grep de1
 > de1: <Digital 21143 Fast Ethernet> rev 0x30 int a irq 16 on pci2.4.0
 > de1: 21143 [10-100Mb/s] pass 3.0
 > de1: address 00:c0:ca:11:78:ed
 > de1: timeout: probing 100baseTX
 > de1: timeout: probing 10baseT
 > de1: enabling 10baseT port
 > de1: timeout: probing 100baseTX
 > de1: timeout: probing 10baseT
 > de1: enabling 10baseT port
 >
 > That's all messages with TULIP_DEBUG.

It would be GREAT if somebody could actually fix the tulip driver so
that it works with 21143's like this -- they're the onboard adaptor in
Digital (alpha) Personal Workstations.  I've had no end of problems
with these adaptors.  I spent a few hours looking at the driver & the
21143 specs, and became quite confused..

At one time, I offered to buy Matt Thomas (the driver's author) a
21143 based card.  He told me he had some, but no switch..  Maybe we
should take up a collection & buy him one ;-)

Anyway, the only way I've had any success is by setting the card to
100Mb full-duplex and setting the switch to 100Mb, half-duplex.
Somehow, the tulip ends up in half-duplex mode & all is well.  If I
set both the adaptor and switch to full-duplex (100mb), the card
remains in half-duplex and performance is poor.

Drew