Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2011 15:55:06 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bootstraps for Mips/OCTEON platforms

On 02/18/2011 12:08, Andrew Duane wrote:
> I'm starting at ground zero (almost) with an Octeon based platform related to the OCTEON1 config in the -CURRENT. The board uses an existing MIPS bootstrap and loader, but that does not seem to be compatible with what the kernel expects. What bootstrap is used normally? u-boot?

u-boot is what we support.  There's no other support in the codebase
right now.  uboot gives us:

in a3 is passed in the cavium hardware descriptor.  All other registers
are ignored on boot.  We only support version 6 and newer of the boot
descriptor.  You can see the details of the structure in
sys/mips/cavium/octeon_machdep.c starting with platform_start().

Warner