Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2002 10:11:33 +0100
From:      "Jamie Heckford" <jamie@jamiesdomain.org.uk>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Corrupted Emails?

Hi,

Sorry for the slightly OT post..... We have strange problem where some customers are receiving "corrupted" emails.

Our servers are running FreeBSD w/ Postfix and Cucipop, Mailboxes in the users home directories mounted of an NFS box.

The problem appears to be emails originating from the Far East, and I'm convinced it is something to do with the client. What
happens is when they retrieve the message, Outlook 98 (The client this person is using... yuk) just displays the raw message
including all the headers. I've asked them to get the sender to send in plain text, remove attachments etc. to try and narrow down
the problem.

If I paste the raw message into my own mailspool I can view it fine using mutt.

My guess is its something to do with the encoding?? Or some kind of language conversion/display bug in Outlook 98??

The customer can view emails from other people fine... its just from the far east which causes the problem.

Any pointers appreciated as I'm a bit stuck on what to tell them, as they are blaming our servers.

Thanks :-)

--
Jamie Heckford
jamie@jamiesdomain.org.uk