Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 14:50:16 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
To:        Graham Wheeler <gram@cequrux.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PCI Plug 'n' Pray and old BIOSes

On 2000-06-19 11:05 +0200, Graham Wheeler <gram@cequrux.com> wrote:
> As I was under time pressure, I pulled the card out and put it in a
> different machine, this one a P166 which works fine (with the same IRQ).
>
> Anyway, when I get a chance I would like to try it again in the 486. The
> 486 has three PCI slots, and the BIOS has some additional settings which
> may be the reason it wasn't working. I'm unfamiliar with what some of
> these do, and am hoping that someone on the list may have experience
> with early days of PCI and Plug 'n Play, and be able to help.
>
> These are the settings:
>
> Slot n IRQ Line (this is the only one I set on my first attempt, to 12)

Is the PS/2 mouse interface enabled ? It will try to grab IRQ 12,
and may do so in a way that the IRQ can't be delivered from ISA
or PCI slots ...

> Perhaps all I need to do is toggle the PnP BIOS setting, but before I
> pull out the screwdrivers and tear the two machines apart again, I'm
> hoping to draw on someone else's experience here.

Depending on the time when the mainboard was built, this may be a
board that needs jumpers configured accordingly (i.e. you have to
enter the jumper settings in the BIOS, which will put the number
in the appropriate config space register, but interrupt routing is
implemented via jumper fields ...)

The first ASUS 486 board, for example, (the 486-SP3, based on the
Saturn 1, chip revision 2) used jumpers, while the SP3G used the
Saturn II (chip rev. 4) and there was an IRQ routing matrix in the
chipset, which allowed for BIOS-only IRQ assignment.

Regards, STefan