Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 07:33:51 +0100 (BST)
From:      "Neil A. Carson" <carson@causality.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Latest Star Office on 3.2-RELEASE?

Greetings,

I've been attempting to bring up the latest Star Office (downloaded from
sun.com) on my FreeBSD 3.2 machine, to little or no avail.

While following the steps to untar the setup libraries into the
compat/linux directory and adding to ld.so.conf etc works fine for the
installation, after re-launching the program, the installer just runs
over again.

This problem was previously attributed to an incompatible (with FreeBSD)
version of the library in a second version of 5.1. However, the
replacement library on the kindly provided Australian FTP site has 516,
not 517 in the name. Thus the library dependencies are wrong. If I hack
around these dependencies, or add symlinks from the 516 to 517 versions,
the program just SEGVs juring startup---from as much as my ktrace will
tell me, after reading the passwd file (getpwent?)

Following on, I tried pulling the older Star Office archive from the
Australian site, but this required a product key. I can't get a product
key now, because the 'key generation' page at Star Division now points
to the free version at sun.com instead!!!

I really don't want to have to upgrade my machine to Linux to run this
stuff, as I am much more comfortable with *BSD having been using the
system for the last 6 years. I also don't have time to fix the problem
myself.

Is anyone working on a solution to the StarOffice problem?

        Many thanks,

        Neil