Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 22:18:41 +1000
From:      "Arkadi Kosmynin" <ank@bigpond.net.au>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   New software - hope can help reduce external traffic

Hello,

We are looking for a few ISPs or news providers who would be willing to
start using it ASAP and whom we would support very closely (including free
remote installation and configuration if required) and make sure that the
software works for them and they are happy.

The software (OzWay) is a News2Web gateway with an easy to use WYSIWYG
interface. It displays thumbnails of images attached to articles, to give
people a chance to choose what they want to download BEFORE they start
downloading. OzWay works as a client to a news server and will not interfere
with server normal operations. It is designed to make the Usenet easy and
attractive to users, help you switch at least some of your "binary fans"
from your external Web link to your news server, thus, saving external
bandwidth, making the Web faster for other people and improving return on
the investment into your news server.

The gateway is stable under internal testing, including stress tests, but,
obviously, we are not able to put it under a normal operating load.

It would be very useful to get your feedback as well as that of your users,
if possible.

It is very, very simple to install (and uninstall :-) - just unpack to a
directory. Available in a Win32, RedHat or FreeBSD version.

Hardware requirements are very modest: a PC with 500+Mhz CPU, 128Mb+ RAM and
min. 5-10Mb of hard drive space. A fast connection (LAN recommended) to a
news server is important. The amount of used hard drive space depends on how
much caching is used. If reducing load on the news server and/or minimizing
traffic between the server and the gateway is important, a few gigs should
be given to the cache.

It is an exciting new product that will be of interest to any ISP or news
provider. It is very similar to our earlier release, AnsWay Pro (see
http://www.ozinsight.com/webGate/). The difference  is that this one works
with any NNTP compliant news server and has a built
in cache.

Also, we are adding an NNTP interface as well, so, it is going to be an
integral solution: a Web gateway with thumbnails, and a news cache emulating
a news server. It serves all this up on very nice looking WYSIWYG Web pages
to your customers.

As a bonus, those willing to pioneer OzWay will get free licenses when the
final product is released.

If you are interested please send me an email. If you want to try it working
(as an end user), I can give you access details of our demo server.

Regards,

Arkadi.