Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 18:45:09 +0100
From:      "Simon H" <simon.hamilton@ntlworld.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   NTL Cable Modem and DHCP

Hi all!

I'm a newbie to FreeBSD/Unix, and am trying to set up a FreeBSD box (v.4.5
iso) as a firewall/proxy/webserver type, connected to my NTLWorld (UK)
Terrayon Cable modem.

I have done a pretty standard CD install, with KDE included, and ALL
distribution packages.

I have seen some articles explaining how to configure DHCP with cable
modems, but I cant seem to get it to work (after 2 days trying).

I have rebooted the Cable modem to ensure that it works with the MAC
address, but when I reboot FreeBSD it doesn't get the DHCP details from my
ISP.

In ifconfig -a it shows the device with IP of "0.0.0.0" and netmask
"255.255.255.255"

which I would think means its cant get the info from DHCP Server or
something.

I have 2 NICs on this box, with the private network NIC set to "10.0.0.10
255.0.0.0".

The only thing I can see that might be wrong is the hostname.  Does this
have to be set for NTLWorld Cable modem connections, or is it gained through
DHCP/DNS?  Do I have to set the DNS Server details anywhere (host.conf or
something)?

Can anyone post examples of what files to configure (rc.conf, etc) to get
NTLWorld Cable modems working.

If anyone is feeling really kind, my overall goal is to set this box up as a
Firewall/proxy for my Windows LAN, a webserver, FTP Server, CVS Server,
QMail, and SSH.  I can get all of these running ok I think, but the problem
is IPFilter and firewalling.  If there are any examples of good rulesets for
this type of environment, could you please post them here too.

I appreciate, any help I can get on this!  If possible, please reply direct,
as well as to the list.

Thanks

Simon H.