Date:      Tue, 16 Aug 2022 13:02:54 -0700
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Dan Mahoney <freebsd@gushi.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>, Ruslan Makhmatkhanov <rm@freebsd.org>, "samflanker@gmail.com" <samflanker@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: MegaCLI port is ports-only -- how would you deploy it?
References:  <1578B277-8FB1-4EAB-ACDB-8ACE6E999857@gushi.org> <YvaATQiz2GF8qFRT@ambrisko.com> <9EC7D5D4-0DD2-4946-9C5F-ADB2B39B73F1@gushi.org> <YvaBW6vmBggMpGek@ambrisko.com> <BFBA2F65-02C0-40C6-99E5-407424D3DD0B@gushi.org> <Yvrei0hn1m6DwavF@ambrisko.com> <CAPyFy2DLGq2ja6XCyxu7vbi35YSOGYpsqTYP28WuJ5fv0r%2BCYA@mail.gmail.com> <CANCZdfqLWQSySXP1qqhwJvFS-8UfqGEkeKhvVkgWCzG-Fmr_6g@mail.gmail.com> <YvvcMlWoSj2Y/o4a@ambrisko.com> <B63C3BEE-1DDC-44E8-BEEF-6BF61FC8C208@gushi.org>

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 03:33:57PM -0400, Dan Mahoney wrote:
| > On Aug 16, 2022, at 14:04, Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com> wrote:
| >
| > On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 11:58:40AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
| > |    On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 11:40 AM Ed Maste <[1]emaste@freebsd.org>
| > |    wrote:
| > |
| > |      On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 at 20:03, Doug Ambrisko
| > |      <[2]ambrisko@ambrisko.com> wrote:
| > |      > | > | > I'd have to put in -current first then look at MFC later
| > |      on.  If looks
| > |      > | > | > good for you then I'll put it up for review.  I just don't
| > |      use this
| > |      > | > | > stuff day to day anymore.
| > |      I think it would be good to put this into review, perhaps separate
| > |      ones for the kernel and userland parts. Feel free to put me on as a
| > |      reviewer or subscriber.
| > |
| > |    I can review as well. I like this plan.
| >
| > I'll add John as well since I think he wrote mfiutil originally.
|
| I haven't attached the makefile patch to the bug I opened yet.  (And the
| existing patch is a link, not an attach).

That isn't critical since I'm the one that made it and plan to be
the committer to deal with it.  I grabbed ownership of the bug.
I updated my personal branch with the fix so I shouldn't drop it
again.  I had factored out some other local changes I had in the
driver.  It had issue with various things that the team I used be
part of would hit since that SW sent lots of concurrent I/O to the
card.  It was made worse on the low end system without cache.
Broadcom didn't seem interested in addressing it when I used to work
with them more closely.  I had patches in that teams driver.

| If further diagnostics are needed (I'm not going to like, try to use it
| to blow away and re-create an array, sorry), I can provide SOME of that.
| Just tell me how I can help.

That shouldn't really be needed since the MFI commands are consistent
being MegaRAID SAS controllers.  The main thing that has changed is
the driver.  I've heard they are changing for their next controller that
would require new tools and driver.  In a few months I might have
a machine with one to play with.

| In the mean time, since the system that I'm testing this on is one of
| the dayjob's console servers, and we still want to be able to run puppet
| on it periodically, y'all have motivated me to get puppet to fix their
| "ports" package provider, which still depends on pkg-classic binaries
| being present.  Not relevant to this problem, other than noting the cool
| ripple effect.

Thanks,

Doug A.