Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 22:22:36 -0400
From:      shartley@mcs.drexel.edu (Stephen J. Hartley)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, support@cdrom.com
Subject:   installation help

Dear FreeBSD and Walnut Creek,

  I just received the FreeBSD 2.2.2 CD-ROM set and tried to install
FreeBSD on my generic PC.  I tried to install from the CD-ROM using a
boot floppy disk created from the FreeBSD.org Web site with the command
                 fdimage boot.flp
Everything seemed normal until I said install everything for an X-user.
The next thing I saw was a message to the effect "installation completed
with some errors".  I checked the other virtual screen and scrolled through
the output.  I saw a bunch of hardware probing until something like
                  reading from CD-ROM
but nothing after that.
  What I suspect is that the kernel could not read the CD-ROM drive to
complete the installation.  My machine has an IDE controller.  The hard
drive is the master on number one (primary interface) and the CD-ROM is a
slave on the second (secondary interface).  It might also be ATAPI.  As
you can tell, I am a novice when it comes to describing PC hardware.
  I have attached the boot sequence from Linux in case that helps.  I vaguely
remember that when I installed Linux, I had to specifically configure the
CD-ROM as hdd (slave on secondary) rather than hdc (master on secondary),
which is what the boot first tried.
  Can you tell me if I must do a similar thing trying to install FreeBSD
using a boot floppy and your CD-ROM:  tell the kernel how to access the
CD-ROM as a slave on the secondary interface?
  Thank you for your help.

Linux boot output:

ide1: hdd: cdrom
Console: colour EGA+ 80x25, 1 virtual console (max 63)
bios32_init : BIOS32 Service Directory structure at 0x000fabe0
bios32_init : BIOS32 Service Directory entry at 0xfb0a0
pcibios_init : PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb0d0
Probing PCI hardware.
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 53.68 BogoMips
Serial driver version 4.11 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
ftape: allocated 3 buffers aligned at: 00268000
hda: WDC AC31200F, 1222MB w/64KB Cache, LBA, CHS=621/64/63, MaxMult=16
hdd: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5302TA, ATAPI, CDROM drive
ide1: secondary interface on irq 15
ide0: primary interface on irq 14
mcd=0x300,10: no (non-EIDE/non-ATAPI) Mitsumi CD-ROM found
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a 8272A
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
Memory: 30828k/32768k available (916k kernel code, 384k reserved, 640k data)
This processor honours the WP bit even when in supervisor mode. Good.
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.019
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.019
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
Checking 386/387 coupling... Ok, fpu using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... Ok.
Linux version 1.2.13 (Universe 1.1) #9 Fri Nov 3 20:30:00 MET 1995
Partition check:
  hda: multiple mode turned off
  hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
hdc: bad access: block=0, count=2
end_request: I/O error, dev 1600, sector 0
  unable to read partition table of device 1600
hdd: media changed
VFS: Disk change detected on device 22/64
Max size:265930   Log zone size:2048
First datazone:18   Root inode number 36864
ISO9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
Adding Swap: 4092k swap-space

___
Stephen J. Hartley        +1-215-    http://www.mcs.drexel.edu/~shartley