Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:55:36 -0600
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@ipform.ru>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Information, new, propaganda:)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@ipform.ru>
To: <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 9:24 AM
Subject: Information, new, propaganda:)

> Hi!
>
> Just so you understand me right, i am a happy FreeBSD user for many years
> now and i doubt that i will ever switch to something else. (i have come
from
> 2.2.1 to 4.2 now, always working in stable).

Glad to hear that.

> I just wanted to point out that freebsd site really sucks when it comes to
> the news and propaganda.

I personally find it hard to accept "freebsd site really sucks" as
constructive criticism.

> If i were a person considering freebsd and i was peridically watching
> freebsd.org for the update all I would notice is a bunch of new comiters
and
> periodic releases of new version. That's all. No other news, no periodic
> updates, no news about what's going on around it. The site does not give
any
> idea in what ways freebsd is different from  windows and, of course,
linux.
> It does not have any screenshots (AND YES, they are important for the
> newbees). For example, look at the kde site. What do they have on the
first
> page? NEWS!!! Most sites have NEWS on the first page, because NEWS
> give people an idea that the project is alive. The only way to know, that
> freebsd project is alive (and i know for sure, that IT IS MORE ALIVE THEN
> ANYTHING on the planet) is to do cvsup daily and read the mailists. This
is
> no right way to attract new people.
>
> That way about the new people. Now about what i don't like: The site never
> contains technical information what's planned or what's changed. For
> example, i HAVE NOT IDEA what's new in 5.0-CURRENT or even what's
> new in 4.2 comparing to 4.1.1.

Let me see if I am understanding the point you are trying to make.

1)  www.freebsd.org doesn't contain any information about the new releases
of freebsd that is useful to someone that is considering the move to
freebsd.

2) You believe that if the website had a section (preferably on the front
page) that ran over some of the important freebsd release details and so
forth, that many more people who are undecided and monitoring the freebsd
website for release info would "take the plunge" and become life-long users
and die hard advocates of freebsd, not only increasing the user base of
freebsd, but also through their hard work of bringing in new users, cause a
geometric increase in the rate of growth of freebsd, resulting in a take
over of the operating system market by freebsd within the foreseeable
future.

3) You realize that the information you want is available, just not where
you want it.  For instance, the file RELNOTES.TXT that has been included
with every freebsd distribution that I have ever seen documents the changes
and improvements over the previous version.

4) You don't make it clear as to whether you are willing to help impliment
any of these suggestions that you have.

Josh