Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:11:10 -0400
From:      jammin2night <freebsd@mikej.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Cloning VLAN interfaces

FreeBSD charon 9.0-STABLE FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE #14 r233107: Sun Mar 18
05:26:58 EDT 2012     root@charon:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CHARON  amd64

Hello:

I have a machine that has a 802.1q trunk attached which works fine.  I
can create VLAN interfaces, apply an IP address to them and all is good.

I have VirtualBox running on this machine and need to present an
interface to a VM that does not support trunking natively.  I've googled
and searched the archive trying to figure out how to create an interface
that VirtualBox will use where the 802.1Q tags are removed but have not
had any success.

I attempted to create a netgraph interface like:

#!/bin/sh

ngctl shutdown re0:
ngctl mkpeer re0: vlan lower downstream
ngctl name re0:lower vlan
ngctl connect re0: vlan: upper upstream
ngctl mkpeer vlan: eiface vlan10 ether
ngctl msg vlan: addfilter '{ vlan=10 hook="vlan10" }'

but this nuked my VLAN10 interface.  Using tcpdump I saw no traffic on
interface VLAN10 or interface ngeth0. I probably going about this all
wrong or just don't get the netgraph hooks.

If there is an example as to how to this this I just missed it.

Any pointers on how to accomplish this?

Thanks.