Date:      Sat, 10 May 1997 21:28:31 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gavin Cameron <gavin@ormond.unimelb.edu.au>
To:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, gavin@ormond.unimelb.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Help with a Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM

> my first guess was that it might of been jumpered for "unix boot" mode
> which means that any cdrom in the drive becomes a "hard disk" in the
> drive... my plextor has a jumper option that sets this...
>
> with another drive that is behaving properly I decided to speak up.. :)

Some more info.

The machine running 2.2.1 has a 1542CF controller in it.

I moved the drive over to my NT box with a 1542CP in it and the CD is also
recognised as a harddisk.

I've pulled the cover off to see what's under the hood and to see if there
are any jumpers that control the "unix boot" mode, but I couldn't find any.

How do I check if it's in this mode?

Could it be the controller? When I do the Control-A trick at boot time
the controller thinks that the CD is a harddisk and will even allow me
to format and verify the drive.

Thanks

Gavin