Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 11:13:38 -0500
From:      "Richard Ward" <mh@neonsky.net>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Peter Pentchev" <roam@orbitel.bg>
Subject:   Re: *login

I saw the login running with the -h option for long periods of times on
numerous ip addresses, but not with "high risk" host names (dialup, aol,
etc) None of which I can recognize as a regular user's host name, maybe
someone who is trying to login with telnet/ssh unsuccessfully?

Recently a FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE box that I administrate was exploited via
the default ports package's named 8.2.3-T5B which according to many I have
talked with is not exploitable with the 4.1.1-STABLE release. Since I run
bind with userid/groupid "bind", a non-privileged user, the "hacker" was
only able to add absurd messages to my named.conf, causing named to fail
when reading the conf file and not start back up. I checked www.isc.org's
website and found an upgrade from T5B to T6B saying quote "infamous
"munnari" bug suite fixed". Could this be the bug that was exploited in my
case? Are there any patches or port upgrades to fix an exploitable named
8.2.3-T5B that might be included in T6B?

Thanks.
--
Richard Ward
"sleep deprived and caffeine-empowered"