Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 1996 23:23:27 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        jacs@gnome.co.uk (Chris Stenton)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ncro 810 oops error

Chris Stenton writes:

> I have recently upgraded to a Asus Pentium PRO Motherboard with their
> NCR810 SCSI controller. While using the Amanda backup programme I am
> getting a large number of errors from the controller.
>
> They are of the form.
>
> Nov  5 11:51:35 hawk /kernel: ncr?: scatter/gather failed (residue=493925376).

A request to transfer some 500MB of data was issued to the driver.
The scatter/gather table covers only 64KB, your memory perhaps 32MB
or 64MB, so the call can't be satisfied :)

The driver can't do anything about this, the parameters it receives
are invalid.

> They only seem to happen when it is backing up partitions other than
> the root partition.

> I have tried putting the Tape drive on a second controller but it made
> no difference. I did not have this problem with my GigaByte Neptune
> board using their NCR810 controller.

This is not a hardware or controller specific problem (IMHO).
You could have some file system corruption, that leads to this
problem, or there could be a kernel problem (eg. missing lock).

Please try a FSCK on your partitions first, and if you don't find
anything, then build a kernel with a current version of /sys/pci/ncr.c.
It contains some diagnostic code, which I thought might help find
the cause of the out-of-bound parameter being passed ...

Regards, STefan