Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 11:35:26 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cisco <-> FreeBSD IP tunnels

Hello,

I'm having a problem with Cisco NOS style tunnels, running the iptunnel.c
program at the FreeBSD end. It seems you can't configure the MTU on the
Cisco, so the effective MTU ends up being 1480 bytes (1500 minus 20 bytes
encapsulation overhead). This is causing BIG problems with MTU path
discovery, and web sites that support PMTU but have a firewall somewhere
blocking more ICMP than it should.

Enabling PTMU but blocking ICMP actually causes the problem - the web site
is sending packets with the Don't Fragment bit set, the router sends back
an ICMP saying "I cannot comply with your Don't Fragment requirement, the
MTU to use is xxx, I am dropping this packet", the firewall blocks that
packet so the web server never sees it and continues to send full size
packets. Repeat process endlessly.

(aside - if you block ICMP, do you block more than type 0 and 8? if so,
why?)

Is there anyone tunnelling between a FreeBSD box and a Cisco using a true
MTU/MRU of 1500? I realise the encapsulated packets themselves may be
fragmented (1500 in + 20 overhead = 2 fragments over an ethernet), but
that's no problem so long as the *contents* of the tunnel are not
fragmented, and it can pass a full 1500 byte packet intact.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                              http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/