Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:36:59 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HARDWARE.TXT and RELNOTES.TXT

> I'd really like to have one set of release notes and one list of
> supported hardware per release.  To generate the architecture-specific
> release notes, there would have to be some conditionals in the text,
> which would then get run through a preprocessor.  Since I'm really a
> coder-type person, I thought in terms of cpp(1) directives, like this:
>
> 	#ifdef alpha_docs
> 	Feature that only applies to the alpha.
> 	#endif alpha_docs
> 	#ifdef ia64_docs
> 	Feature that only applies to the ia64.
> 	#endif ia64_docs

Sounds fine to me!  There's no reason why these files need to sit in
their final form in the CVS tree.  The way they're copied onto the
boot floppies can be changed in release/Makefile and if there is a
human-readable output target in the release/texts Makefile, easily
formatted for the web pages.

> 1.  I'm not sure how to do this in DocBook.

I don't think you need to do it in Docbook - these are ascii text
files and likely to remain so for awhile so just use cpp.

- Jordan