Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2017 11:31:16 -0500
From:      Bret Ketchum <bcketchum@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PEBS support in hwpmc

     PEBS records do capture callchain-like infromation. I'm most
interested (currently) with FRONTEND_RETIRED, MEM_LOAD_RETIRED and
MEM_LOAD_L3_HIT_RETIRED. Which require understanding of sub-events.
These counters can be used to differentiate the myriad of
Front-End/Back-End bound issues before drilling down to offending code
fragments.