Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:47:04 -0600
From:      "Philip Pesek" <me@philpesek.com>
To:        "FreeBSD-Mobile" <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>, "FreeBSD-Newbie" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PCMCIA modem installation problem

I'm new to BSD so please bear with me in case this sounds stupid, but I
cannot to get an answer from anywhere.  I have been trying to install
FreeBSD 3.3 on a laptop which has no CD and only a pccard modem for
networking.  With the PAO floppys, the card is finally recognised and shown
in the second vterminal during the PPP setup part of the installation:
card1: assign sio3 iobase 0x2f8 irq 3 flags 0x80
sio: type 16550A
logger: not found

I don't know what the last line of that means, but thats what it shows.
Then when the install program runs PPP,  in that same terminal:
ifconfig: interface ppp0 does not exist
ppp0: not found
exiting.
I selected the right serial port, so what is happening, any ideas?  I would
greatly appreciate any help!  I need to know how to get connected via my
modem for the install!!!!  It is a Zoom PCMCIA V.34C Faxmodem, if that makes
any difference.

Thanks,
Phil