Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 1995 12:17:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Shipping w/ HTTPD BAD IDEA

Shipping the system with httpd/gopherd and other tools is a horrible idea.

Whats wrong with keeping it as a standard port?  Thats the BEST way to do it,
especially given the wide variety of web servers out there (Personally NCSA's
server is 10 times better than CERN's) and every joe user will want to install
whichever they like best.  How much more simple can it get to just go to the
ports dir and do a make install?  If you cant do that, you probably shouldnt be
running a web server anyhow.

Second problem, just who is going to decide "how" the server is configured,
where the config/user files are actually placed on disk?  Are we going to
honestly stuff it right in the middle of the regular tree's or keep it nice and
clean by placing it in /usr/local/web?  How do you configure the subdirs?

It seems to me that even if the server was shipped with FreeBSD, 85% of the
folks would have to de-install the damn thing to get it installed "just how
they like it".

Keep these sorts of utilities as ports, please please, its much much cleaner
that way. (Same thing holds for the clients, Im never gonna use Mosaic,
Netscape is a thousand times better)

-Crh
--

    Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu