Date:      03 Nov 2000 10:58:03 -0500
From:      Mark Evenson <evenson@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   using WaveLAN with Apple Airport base station

I am rather stumped in getting a FreeBSD laptop talking to an Apple Airport
base station, and would appreciate any help that people could give me.
Pointers to sources of information would be appreciated, as my knowledge of
802.11 is very nascent.

I have an Apple Airport working fine with an Airport card in a Powerbook,
but no combination of mucking with wicontrol(1) gets a WaveLAN Gold card to
join the network.  I am running 4_STABLE on the laptop which has the Gold
card to which pccardd attaches just fine.

I have tried both disabling WEP encryption, and enabling it (using the
proper "Network Equivalent Password").

I have tried both IBSS (using both the proper name and the parameter ANY')
and ad-hoc on the card.

The Airport base station is configured to not "create a closed network".

Are Gold cards (what is in the laptop) fundamentally unable to talk to
Silver cards (what the both the Airport base station and card are)?

Any ideas?

--
Mark Evenson <evenson@panix.com>

"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before, but there is
nothing to compare to it now."