Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 21:07:37 +1100
From:      Eddie Irvine <eirvine@tpgi.com.au>
To:        NG&S <dustpan@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 problems...ppp.conf file....and X with Trident

NG&S wrote:

> Hey...
>
> This is a long one.  I am new at Freebsd and have some questions about a
> ppp connection and X window system with a Trident 9685 ProVidia 4MB card
                 ^^^
It is a good idea to only have one topic per post. :)

> I am trying to dial into my ISP and editted my ppp.conf file and have
> this for the file:
>
> default:
>   set device /dev/cuaa1
>   set speed 38400
>   set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0 OK-AT-OK
> \\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
> ISP:
>   set phone "number"
>   set login "TIMEOUT 10 \"\" \"\" login:-\\r-login: username word: pass"
>
>   set timeout 120
>   set ifaddr 0 0
>   add 0 0 HISADDR
>
> >From then on after I type ppp I get:
> # ppp
> User process PPP. Written by Toshiharu OHNO.
> Using interface: tun0
> ppp ON myname>dial ISP
> Dial attempt 1 of 1
> Phone: number
> Dial OK!
> ModemDial:  Login Failed
>
> and then I have to quit the ppp.
>
> Am I missing something major or is there some fine tuning just needed?

You could also "set log +chat" and then check the ppp logfiles to see
what's happening.

Really, the first thing to do with ppp is to get it going manually, and
then
write the script. You type "ppp" and go from there.

Ppp gives a lot of grief - this is why a great tutorial has been
written:
see

http://www.au.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/ppp.html

Eddie.