Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 1996 19:27:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Vladimir Eltsov <ve@kapitza.ras.ru>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP install problem: 2.1.5 & 3c509

On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, Vladimir Eltsov wrote:

> I am using FreeBSD 2.1.0 for quite a while without problems.
> Recently I tried to install 2.1.5. FTP install is the most
> suitabale way for me, but after ftp transfer started
> installation hangs very soon at random point. (I tried
> different ftp servers). My hardware is 486DX2-66, VLB, EIDE
> hard drive, 3c509 Ethernet card -- nothing special.

The 3c509 is slightly suspicious.  On some computers, it can hang
randomly, which sounds like what you are getting.  Unfortuately I can't
give a solution at this point other than to borrow a NE2000-compatible
card for a while to do the install.

> Any ideas what's the problem?
> And if I'll manage to install it (for a pity install from
> DOS partition is not an option), how could I be sure that
> networking will work properly after that?

It'll work just fine.  Don't forget to install the src/ssys distribution
so you can rebuild your kernel.  I'm positive of this; I did my original
FreeBSD install from floppies.